Smoked Salmon Terrines
Dec 15, 2021
A terrine with smoked salmon is something you can prepare ahead for Christmas.
Get more inspiration and LIVE Cookalongs by signing up for Annual Membership 2022.
10 slices of smoked salmon
2-3 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
200g crème fraîche
200g cream cheese
1 tbsp of freshly chopped dill
salt and pepper
For the Cucumber:
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dill
1 tsp salt
pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Peel, deseed and finely slice the cucumber and place in a bowl. Sprinkle over the salt, mix and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Line 4 ramekins with a double layer of cling film. Cut away any waxy edges from the smoked salmon (reserve these smoked salmon trimmings) then place 2 overlapping slices of smoked salmon over the clingfilm.
- Chop up the smoked salmon trimmings and put in a bowl together with the crème fraîche and cream cheese, lemon juice and dill. Mix together thoroughly. Season to taste.
- Put the smoked salmon paté inside the salmon lined ramekins and overlap the smoked salmon slices. Cover all with cling film and put in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
- Rinse the cucumber under cold water and pat dry.
- To make the dressing: Whisk the chopped dill, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Then add the cucumber.
- Arrange the slices of cucumber around each plate in a circle, overlapping each slice.
- Remove the ramekins from the fridge, and turn out of the ramekin onto the centre of the plate. Garnish with fresh herbs, and serve with brown bread, sourdough or melba toast.
Other Popular Variations:
Avocado and Crab:
Pick through the crab to remove any stray shell, then place in a bowl. Stir in a dash of white wine vinegar, then mayonnaise, and season with a pinch of salt and lots of black pepper.
Peel, stone and dice the avocados. Place them in a bowl, and toss in two tablespoons of lime juice to stop them discolouring (add more if preparing them a day in advance) then stir in the chilli, scallions, extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of sugar and coriander.
Spoon a layer of avocado into each lined mould, then divide crab between all six. Finish with the remaining avocado, then fold in the overhanging salmon and clingfilm to seal the base. Chill the ramekins in the fridge for a few hours.