An All-Time Irish Snack Classic: Sausage Rolls
Feb 10, 2022
Sausage Rolls: The Most Amazing Irish Snack Pastry Known to Man
The sausage roll is one of the most beloved snack pastries available here on the Emerald Isle. What could be better than a delicious sausage wrapped in puff pasty? Well, nothing! Of course you won't know that until you try it! :)
Think of pigs in a blanket: a traditional US classic for parties and events, made with hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls. But what if they were homemade from a real Irish recipe with fresh pork sausage? These delicious morsels are so popular you can find them behind the deli at any convenience store in Ireland, and they're one of the highest selling pastries available in Ireland as well as the UK. They form a big part of many Irish people's day to day cuisine, and to say they're addictive would be an understatement. Once you try them, you'll want to make them again and again! Here's the recipe!
Ingredients (Makes about 20):
For the Filling -
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1lb pork sausagemeat
- 3 tbsp chopped apple
- 1 tbsp mustard (or relish)
- 1 egg, lightly whisked (plus 1 egg to glaze)
- 5 sprigs parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Defrost pastry or make puff pastry and wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator before using.
- To make the sausage rolls, mix the sausagemeat, onion, parsley, apple and mustard (or relish) together in a mixing bowl.
- Dust the work surface with flour and roll out the pastry to a rectangular shape as thinly as possible. Cut this into three strips and divide the sausagemeat also into three, making three long rolls the same length as each strip of pastry.
- Place one roll of sausagemeat onto each strip of pastry. Brush the edge of the pastry with beaten egg. Then fold the pastry over and seal well.
- Turn each roll over so that the sealed edge is underneath. Press lightly and cut into individual rolls of approximately 1 inch long. Using a scissors, cut three v-shapes in the top of each. Brush the top with beaten egg.
- Place rolls on a lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
If you liked this recipe, why not take a look at our ONLINE Ultimate Irish Cooking Course? This at-your-own-pace on demand course is full of more traditional authentic Irish recipes like this one. Get a taste of the Emerald Isle at home!